Manny Updates‎ > ‎

Waking up, Midnight Snack, Breakfast, Abers, Legion

posted Aug 2, 2011, 1:03 PM by Manny Wilke   [ updated Aug 2, 2011, 1:29 PM ]
We were able to be with Manny as he woke up. While he didn't enjoy the iv taped to a board with his arm, he wasn't totally out of sorts like he was during the first surgery, when it seemed like an alien was trying to escape his body. Perhaps it is because he was much calmer going into surgery this time - I've heard that. He also did not have to have drain tubes this time, which totally threw him off in April. I think knowing the end result of another big ear made everything so much better for him and for us. See Photos 
The first thing he said after waking up was, "Can I NOW go to Uncle Derek's house?" He asks it every day and the answer was always "after you get another big ear" :) We stayed at the surgery center only 1 hour after he initially woke up, and then they sent us home - after being there 13+ hours. We quickly picked up Eli from his 13 hour playdate and went back to the hotel. I was concerned because his Right Ear (good ear) canal was almost completely closed because of swelling - Dr Lewin had futzed with it making improvements. But, I was able to cut an ear plug and reopen it up during the night.
The last surgery we came back to the hotel, and he was a disaster which was really stressful. This time, we put him in bed, gave him some crackers/banana, and he rested and slept while we all watched The Bachelorette finale (thank you, Manny!!). He woke up at 2am and requested, actually, demanded ..... POPCORN! Sorry hotel guests, but I did make popcorn and he proceeded to slowly eat it for about an hour. He went back to bed and woke up at 7am. The night went much better than I had expected, and so has the morning. He won't take any of his beefed up meds because they came in liquid form, which he will not do. So, we've been on Tylenol only but Nate is going to Walgreens to pick up some pills that we can hopefully crush and hide in applesauce. Manny actually went down for breakfast today, sat in a chair, and proceeded to eat a muffin and some fruit slowly. I just sat there and stared at him all turbined up, eyes swollen, right ear bloody from new stitches and thought - man, you are amazingly brave, it's crazy. He does not like his 6" groin scar/tape as it bothers him with his shorts elastic, but hopefully he will forget about it.
Manny talked to Abers today and he said "Hi Abers, it's Manny. I love you! And guess what, I have two big ears, just like you Abe!" Abe is having a ton of fun back at home, going to parades, Mallards games, birthday parties and swimming. I miss him so much but I know he is having fun - and he slept in until after 9am today too!
Thanks to the BD legion parents, players and coaches for sending such great pics! Good luck today at the final game - here's "2" for 2 ears and "1" for taking first place!
In addition, thank you to our neighbor, Roger, who mowed our lawn while were are away!