Manny Updates‎ > ‎

@ Uncle Ds

posted Nov 7, 2012, 9:36 PM by Manny Wilke   [ updated Nov 7, 2012, 9:41 PM ]
What a day. Now this one I didn't expect. Throughout all of these surgeries and curve balls, I wasn't expecting to literally run out the door to the airport, with a new destination in mind from the destination I had anticipated just 15 minutes prior. For whatever reason (ok, maybe it's the turban) many people asked me at the airport what was wrong with Manny as I was just so frazzled I could hardly talk. One poor Southwest girl, Soma, asked me "to where are you headed" and I simply started sobbing, ".....LAX......" and she comes around the counter and hugs me. I kept trying to repeat the phrase my friend Kim shared with me yesterday..something like... "flexible trees and flexible people are what survive the storms of life." Ok, be flexible. Be flexible.
Manny and I did not talk much today. We were both tired. I don't think either of us wanted to really talk about anything at all. And, he had his share of Claritin, Benadryl and Tylenol. On a positive note, we got to spend the day at Uncle D's house and even grab a late lunch and small big wheel ride by the beach. While sitting there eating I actually LOL'd. You know, there are worse things than having to readjust your plans which make you end up having lunch at the beach and hang with your brother. Oh, boo hoo. 
After we left Manny had to go to the bathroom, so we stopped at a Starbucks. Just as he comes out of the bathroom a woman said, "did he just have microtia repair surgery? My daughter is 14 now and had hers done in North Carolina - wow, his ear looks perfect...." It was the best thing I had heard all day, besides my brother's response to my 7am text informing him I'm coming to LA. "Yes, I'm home, and the guest room is ready." Microtia is like a small little family; the birth defect is so rare yet in some ways it feels so common.
We went to Dr. Lewin's house tonight and she took off all of his bandages, applied some new Rx to the rash that was spreading, and put on a new ear cup and dressing. She said that assuming all is well tomorrow, she has no problems with us heading back for a few days. So, we'll see if he wakes up screaming again. Special thanks to Michelle with Southwest who helped me book new flights. Seriously, could this company be any nicer on the phone or in person?
My @ sign tomorrow better be @ LAX! Come on, MannyMan! No more rash!