Manny Updates‎ > ‎

Resting Comfortably by NOON!

posted Apr 3, 2013, 2:11 PM by Manny Wilke   [ updated Apr 3, 2013, 2:14 PM ]
We made it back to the hotel by NOON! That is a world record - I think we usually get back between 3-8pm. I always pack a lunch for surgery day, but I had already eaten my lunch by 8am, so I'm glad to be back to my hotel room with snacks because after surgery - we're both starving! Snacks include pb&j and extra chips from my BFFs (the owners at Simply Sandwiches) who so kindly treated us lunch (and surgery snacks) yesterday.

Manny is just chilling out in bed, watching Power Rangers and drinking a PEPSI (Nate/Eli's bribery - see Photos - Surgery 4-3-13) and eating popcorn. I'm pretty sure the rule was clear liquids and soft food. But, Dr. Champeau, our Anesthesiologist (we've had him 4x before...his relatives live in WI) gave him 4 different anti-nausea medicines so he feels really pretty good which is a huge relief!! You just never know how he'll wake up from surgery, and usually it isn't very good. Manny is just psyched because he doesn't have "hot pee" this time.

While in surgery I asked Dr. Roberson if he could help clean up Manny's left ear. Because his left ear can't get wet, I haven't been able to wash it well for months. In addition, there are some "pockets" on the surface of his ear that are more prone to allowing dirt to build up. So, today during surgery Dr. Roberson was able to give him a luxurious "facial" of the ear and remove the dirt and little icky bumps. Going forward, we should be able to simply wash his ear to keep it clean. 

The sun is shining through the hotel curtains. I'm hoping that I can convince my 6.5 year old to squish into into the baby stroller for a walk later this afternoon!

Thank you everyone for the well wishes and positive vibes, including WBEV radio back home! And, a special thanks to all of the awesome doctors (Dr. Roberson, Dr. Goldsztein, Dr. Champeau) and nurses (Justine, Manuel) today for making surgery such a success!