Manny Updates‎ > ‎

Post surgery continued....

posted Aug 9, 2012, 7:31 AM by Manny Wilke   [ updated Aug 9, 2012, 7:32 AM ]
....Dr. Lewin also wanted to fix the area on his scalp where the ear cup scar was, causing no hair to grow in that location, which happens to adjoin a landing strip area where no hair grew from birth. It was challenging because the skin was really tight with lots of scar tissue. But, this clever lady took this smooth, no-hair-skin, and used it on his ear for one of the skin grafts!! She also had to use skin from his groin area. In addition, she was not able to fix the stenosis (closing of the canal) on the Right ear. She had planned to go in the canal, dig out some skin and re-graft - but it was too tight and too hard. She thinks that maybe bone grew close to the ear drum area, and that is out of her scope. So, we'll have to address that in the future again with Dr. Roberson up north. In the end, she worked hard....very very hard and was pleased with the end result. I can't wait to see it!
Yesterday was a long day. We left the house at 5am, arrived at the surgical center at 5:45am but didn't leave until 7:30pm, arriving back home at 8:30pm after a fun drive on the I-405. Manny didn't feel well after surgery and he wanted the IV, tape, bandages, monitors all gone. Now! They needed to monitor his cough and dry throat (from being under sedation for so long); his stridor (narrowing) in his throat becomes flared due to his TE Fistula repair at birth. He also complained of "hot pee" from his bladder being drained. After he ate some fishy crackers and juice he was finally able to leave.
We drove through McDs as Nate and I were starving. Unfortunately, while in line Manny yacked all over. Ten seconds later he wanted a cheeseburger. Kids! He was fine after that. I had sent Uncle Derek to get Manny's Rx at Walgreens, which saved us a trip and much to our surprise, he had taken Jarrett and Eli shopping to get Manny a Get Well Soon balloon and DREAMLITE pillow pet. A hot pink rainbow unicorn. LOL. Manny was thrilled. Sounds like the kids had a great time hanging with Aunt Val and Uncle Derek yesterday. How lucky we are to have family who live here and who decided to tag along for the adventure.
Manny is in good spirits today, currently watching videos in bed. He (WE) didn't sleep much last night though, he wanted a snack and to go to the bathroom every 30 minutes. I wanted to guide him so he wouldn't fall. But, he didn't seem to be in much pain so that was great. His activitiy is restricted so we'll have to chill and get creative, while secretively finding activities for the rest of the gang.
Thanks so much for the texts, emails, facebook posts and prayers. It is what gets us through these long days.
PS - We had an earthquake nearby yesterday?!